THE BRIDE AND THE GROOMS

Taylor Green is so nice. Too nice. She keeps getting engaged in conversation.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, Ohio, United States

No, that is not a drawing of me. I am the writer, director and producer of "The Bride and the Grooms," a romantic comedy movie that will be shot in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia in July.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Screenplay in the snow

One scene down, so many more to go.

In February, I thought up a scene to add to "The Bride and the Grooms," my upcoming romantic comedy movie. It required snow. While I was at it, I should have included children, animals and pyrotechnics. I am making my first feature -- why make it easy on myself?

Even though Ohio winters go on and on and on, it was now or November.
I did not want to shoot with fake snow -- mashed potato flakes, anyone? -- during production in July. Gotta keep it real ... even though we were making a fake story. Ironic, no?

So I met two brave actors and one brave cameraperson in a parking lot on a bone-chilling night.
Lead actress Jacilyn Ledford not only didn't complain, she asked if we could do extra takes as bride-to-be Taylor Green. Oliver Gray, playing pastor-to-be T.J. Teodoro, offered a solid, consistent performance in his first scene and is funny as all get out. Camera operator Andrew Stone was efficient and effective as he made sure we quickly got all the shots we needed before we froze.

With a newborn, the footage sat on a shelf, unwatched until this week.

When I finally got a chance to piece the shots together, all fatigue -- from lack of sleep, from caring for my kids, from preproduction -- faded away.
I was re-energized by seeing what we produced. It worked. Despite the obstacles -- the cold, the time constraints, the quickly written scene -- it worked.
The scene was written with one song in mind and one song only. Molly Morgan's "Ohio" fits perfectly, from the tone to the lyrics, as it includes the line: "Can we go / Can we go back to Ohio / And play in the snow?"
That's just one of five songs we are using that were written, performed and sung by the talented Ms. Morgan.

I can't wait to include the rest of the songs.
I can't wait to see the rest of the movie.
(To hear Molly Morgan's music, go to myspace.com/mollymorganmusic)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home