THE BRIDE AND THE GROOMS

Taylor Green is so nice. Too nice. She keeps getting engaged in conversation.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, Ohio, United States

No, that is not a drawing of me. I am the writer, director and producer of "The Bride and the Grooms," a romantic comedy movie that will be shot in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia in July.

Friday, May 2, 2008

Engaged in Conversation

Here comes "The Bride." It's just 11 weeks away.

Production for "The Bride and the Grooms," an independent romantic comedy movie, will commence on July 18 in Akron, Ohio. My first feature as a writer, director and producer is about a woman who accidentally gets engaged to four men at the same time.

Happens all the time, right?

The script has gone through several changes over the years. The original title was "One Bride for Seven Brothers," because Taylor Green accidentally got engaged to seven fraternity brothers. Seven got trimmed down to five, in part because the story was so unbelievable, but also because the characters were not developed enough.


Enough? OK, at all.

"One Bride for Five Brothers" is a play on words off of a play on words, so that wasn't going to work. I needed a new title, and I also realized I needed to take out one other potential groom. Three guys were history, so I took their histories and spread their characteristics around to the remaining four. Now I had fully realized characters. I just hadn't fully realized the perfect title. I thought about it and thought about it, brainstorming every title I could think of until I came up with a new title that I thought was brilliant:

"Engaged in Conversation."

Problem was, every reader, writer and producer in Hollywood who saw it hated the title. I couldn't believe it. They didn't go for the script, either, obviously. Not so much because of what it had. It's what it didn't have: sex, nudity, drugs, weaponry or F-words.

I was not going to put that stuff in just to satisfy Hollywood. I am making this movie because I have a story to tell, but also because I believe there are not enough smart, entertaining movies appropriate for the whole family. So with no buyers, I decided to make the movie myself. And I came up with a title that was simple, straightforward and to the point.

Voila. "The Bride and the Grooms."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home